This past month I spoke at the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce and highlighted five key points to help set you up for career success. Let’s face it, we all have lessons learned and could all benefit from sharing them. Here are a few insights from the session:
- Be Gutsy: ask five people you know for feedback (ask them to describe you in five words). It is important to always listen and improve.
- Be Intentional: choose three things you want to be known for when it comes to your reputation (we can’t be good at everything). Be clear on what value you bring to the table and build your reputation around that.
- Be Connected: Identify & assess your network in the office and outside of the company (are you building trust and relationships at junior, peer, and levels senior to you?). People need to know you to champion you.
- Be Empathetic: When it comes to negotiating, how often do you think about WIIFT (What’s In It for Them) and approach your ask with empathy and planning (we discussed the importance of de-escalating and having it be a win-win situation)?
- Be Visible: Lastly, are you planning out what success looks like for you by year end when it comes to being visible in-person as well as online? Don’t be out of sight out of mind. Offer to present at a team meeting or leader a project team.
The session was interactive and energetic, a huge thank you to the Chamber and the amazing Young Professionals group who were engaged and asked great questions and shared their own experiences.
Be your best self,